Dental Bleaching at Home

Most of us think that our teeth must look white in order to be attractive. So we end up following home bleaching regularly. But we are un-aware of the side effects of such dental bleaching. Most common side effect complained by such people is the tooth sensitivity.

The peroxide used in dental bleaching increases the incidence of tooth sensitivity. Sensitivity is often felt on consuming very hot or cold food beverages or any food item. This sensitivity reduces as soon as you remove those food items from your mouth. The gums are also equally affected by dental bleaching resulting in gum irritation. 

The powerful chemical ingredients of the bleaching agent damage the gums. In dental clinics, there are special trays to carry and place the bleach only on the tooth surface rather than the gums. Hence, if one is doing it in home, then there are chances of the gums being involved. One of the very rare side effects is the nausea or any stomach irritation caused due to accidental consumption of the bleaching agent.

Tooth Sensitivity:

To understand the tooth sensitivity more properly, here are few facts that tell us the cause of sensitivity. On bleaching, the enamel is slowly degraded and at last, the dentin is exposed which is yellow in color and next to the enamel. There are many micro-tubules inside this dentin called as dentinal tubules that are considered as containing dentinal fluid. 

The chemicals of the bleaching agent react with this fluid and bring unusual reactions that ultimately simulate the nerve endings of the nerves supplied to the teeth through the pulp chamber. Hence, tooth gets sensitised. The peroxide in high concentration is the actual culprit for such a sensitised tooth. Hence, it must be used in lower concentrations. After reading the above facts, one will certainly question that how will be the gums affected. 

Here is the answer. The powerful chemicals of the bleaching agent cause irritation and burns to the gingival or gum tissues. These tissues are very delicate and need to be protected. Hence, it is advised to follow the proper instructions of bleaching as given by the dentist. 

Now, since you have been able to find out the causes of tooth sensitivity after a home dental bleaching, you must also know few methods to avoid tooth sensitivity. Always buy bleaching agents from a reputed dental company for better results. Never use the bleach more than it has been instructed by the manufacturer. 

Hence, carefully read the instruction mentioned on the bleaching agent box. Minimize the amount of bleach or whitening gel on the tray you are using. Never be in a misconception that increasing the quantity of the whitening gel will whiten your tooth faster rather it will result in severe burns to the gingiva or gums and expose the dentinal tubules quickly leading to severe tooth sensitivity.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *